I found Carol Dweck’s article Mindsets to be very interesting and quite thought provoking. One of the biggest take-home messages I got out of the reading was the emphasis placed on praising a student’s hard work and the overall learning process, rather than the end result. I feel that this is definitely something I will have to keep in mind as a beginning teacher because I know I have a tendency to want to praise student’s efforts as well as the work they’re doing. I found the list we created as a class regarding how we can support a growth mindset in our own classrooms to be helpful in thinking about this from a teacher’s standpoint. Making sure I encourage students to explain their thinking process or noticing the improvement a student is making in a particular subject area are great ways to uphold the growth mindset. I am so eager to learn more about Dweck’s ideas and hope to find time to read her book soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment