Thursday, July 7, 2011
Teaching About Reproduction & Sexual Health
From today's discussions, I am realizing that I do not yet feel comfortable teaching about topics such as reproduction and sexual health. However, I found the few ice breaker activities we practiced in class to be helpful in thinking about ways in which to approach these sort of topics with children. Two of the ideas I especially liked that were brought up include having kids have a chance to get their giggles out by shouting out body parts that they have drawn from a hat. It is very important to be able to use correct terminology when discussing the body and I feel that this a great way to get kids a little more comfortable and get the discussion going. Another idea I really liked that I would definitely use in my own classroom is having an anonymous question box where students can ask any question they have anonymously. Because these topics can be difficult to discuss openly, I feel that this is a great way to provide students with an opportunity to ask personal questions that they may not be comfortable asking in front of an entire class.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment